Monday, June 24, 2013

Getting to know you ...


Smokey has been with us for a week now, and he's a really great dog.  He's a really easy going guy and fits right into our family.  He has so many good qualities, and I'll try to describe some of them for you.
 
He's not an aggressive dog at all.  In the past we've had to feed our fosters in a separate room from our dogs.  We don't have to do that with Smokey.  He's not aggressive at all if one of the other dogs walks by him while he's eating.  He just does his own thing and doesn't bother the others.
 
I believe Smokey came to us already housebroken.  He hasn't marked in the house at all that I'm aware of, and he hasn't had any accidents.  I think I've figured out the way he tells me he has to go outside to do his business.  He'll come running up to me and just stand in front of me and stare.  The reason I think he's telling me he needs to go outside is because he comes running up with a sort of urgency about him.  I'm not completely sure, but I think that's his way of telling me he has to go outside.
 
As far as his outdoor behavior, it's awesome!  He doesn't do much barking at all.  We have a little dog behind our fence at the backside of our yard.  The neighbor dog comes to the fence and barks for our dogs.  Our dogs bark back and then run up and down the fence line.  Smokey goes running over to the fence too, but he's the only one not barking.  He also loves to watch the birds in the trees, and he loves to chase ants!  Yes, ants!  He sits on the patio and stalks the ants.  When he sees one he pounces on it, and yes, he eats it.  It's really funny!  He even watches them from inside the house and will scratch on the door to go out and then pounce on the ant!
 
Inside the house he's also a very good dog.  He doesn't pick up books or magazines that might be lying around and chew them up, although he will pick up a Kleenex or paper towel and tear it apart.  That's the extent of what I've seen him chew.  He'll play with toys if we're playing with him, and he'll fetch a ball and bring it back.  He's definitely a lap dog and loves to cuddle up with us and just hang out.
 
It's such a pleasure taking care of Smokey!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment